Delivering comprehensive dental care in a welcoming environment is at the heart of Dr. Coelho’s practice. A central part of that care is preventative in nature, which works to stave off the advance of tooth decay and gum disease. Professional oral hygiene care is an important part of preventative care, serving to eliminate areas that the patient may find difficult to care for properly. Through a combination of professional cleanings with Dr. Coelho and a good oral hygiene routine, your family can have smiles that shine for a lifetime.
Oral Hygiene Visits With Dr. Alethea Coelho
Twice yearly visits to receive ongoing oral care and regular checkups can go a long way to prevent the advance of tooth decay. Maintaining a schedule of regular visits helps to catch these concerns while they’re developing, allowing them to be addressed before permanent damage results. Part of these visits will be professional cleanings to eliminate any residual tartar and plaque. They’ll begin with a full dental exam, including questions about any new medications or any other health concerns you may have developed. During your cleaning and checkup, Dr. Coelho will also check for any signs of the following:
- Cavities/Tooth Decay
- Plaque and Tartar Development
- Gingivitis/Gum Disease
- Bone Disease/ TMJ Disorder
- Oral Cancer
Once the oral hygiene portion of your visit is concluded, you’ll receive updated instructions on caring for your teeth. This will include observations made during your visit and steps you can take to address any weak points in your routine. You’ll also receive information about any additional concerns that may have been noticed during the process. An oral hygiene visit typically involves the following stages:
- Visual Exam: The condition of your teeth will be examined using tools like the intraoral camera. This will allow your dentist to look into all the nooks and crannies of your oral cavity for any concerns.
- Clean and Polish: The exposed portions of your teeth will be cleaned using a rotary tool with a light-grit paste. The process is generally painless and serves to remove stubborn plaque and tartar from the exposed teeth.
- Planing and Scaling: If plaque and tartar are identified below the gum line, a special tool will be used to scrape the remaining biofilm off these areas. The surface of your tooth below the gumline will then be polished smooth to discourage the regrowth of bacteria.
Professional cleanings are necessary since daily hygiene practices aren’t always sufficient to eliminate all the plaque that forms in your mouth. When plaque is left behind, it hardens into a substance known as tartar. Tartar cannot be removed using at-home techniques, which is where Dr. Coelho comes in.
More About Why Professional Cleanings Are Essential
Contact our office to schedule a visit to learn more about dental hygiene and why professional cleanings are essential to dental health. It’s particularly important to come in to see Dr. Alethea Coelho if it has been in excess of six months since your last visit. If dental visits are allowed to happen at greater intervals, serious oral health conditions can have time to develop. Protect your teeth by calling today.